|~ LISTENING CENTER ~|
Date: January 29, 2023
Title: Greater Works Than These
Passage: Acts 9:32-43
Speaker: Bob Corbin
Sermon Note Sheet (PDF)
Watch it on
* 1 Corinthians 12:12 states, "For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ."
* In the beginning of our series, the focus of the book of Acts was upon the church as an entity - as a body. Over the past four weeks we have focused upon how God works through individual members - as we considered the martyrdom of Stephen, the ministry of Philip and the conversion of Saul. Over the next couple of weeks, we will be looking at God's continued working through Peter.
* Jesus had already declared that Peter would be a pillar that He would use to establish the church. Matthew 16:15-19 15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" 16 Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." 17 Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
* We have seen that God used Peter at Pentecost to proclaim His message to the Jews who were gathered in Jerusalem. As well, it was Peter - along with John - who continued to the proclaim the message to the crowds and the Sanhedrin when presented the opportunities. It was Peter - along with John again - who went to Samaria to confirm that the Samaritans had received the gospel. And, it was Peter, to whom God gave special knowledge regarding the giving of Ananias and Sapphira ... and the authority and power to take away their lives by his word.
* Now we see how Christ is going to expand His ministry through Peter - from Judea to Samaria to the Gentiles!