|~ LISTENING CENTER ~|
Date: June 6, 2021
Title: The Bread and Word of Life
Passage: John 6:22-71
Speaker: Bob Corbin
Sermon Note Sheet (PDF)
Watch it on
* John's purpose is the presentation of Jesus as the Son of God who became the Lamb of God to take away the sins of the world.
* This is important, for it is only through believing in this truth that man might be saved.
* Two weeks ago, David led our examination of two more miracles of Jesus - His feeding of the multitude and His walking on the water.
* Last week, we examined a couple of passages within this context which have been misused to prove God's predestination of certain individuals to salvation.
As a summary of that discussion, we saw that it is God who has done the "work" of salvation. By His grace, He has made the way for us to come to Him through faith. "Believing" was not viewed by Christ as a "work." Rather, He viewed it as the responsibility of man to "believe."
Additionally, God "desires (thelo) all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth." (1 Tim 2:4) And, it is He "who works all things according to the counsel (boulae) of His will (thelaema)." (Eph 1:11) However, all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, and cannot therefore enter into His presence, nor will they seek His face on their own. Hence, no one can come to God unless God draws them. Jesus stated that if He was lifted up, He would draw all men to Himself. This is accomplished through the ministry and convicting work of the Holy Spirit!
* Today, we want to examine the exchange between Jesus and the Jews, which highlights the struggle that man has to think with a heavenly mindset.