|~ LISTENING CENTER ~|
Date: April 18, 2021
Title: A Conversation with Nicodemus
Passage: John 3:1-21
Speaker: Bob Corbin
Sermon Note Sheet (PDF)
Watch it on
* * We have been studying The Gospel of Jesus Christ according to John. As we have noted, John's major purpose is to undergird the unity of the church through the presentation of the proof that Jesus is the Son of God.
* Throughout the first two chapters of the book, John has been revealing testimony that supports that claim.
* Last week, in our examination of chapter 2, we saw how John revealed Jesus' power over nature by turning water into wine at the wedding of Cana. Additionally, in the section regarding His cleansing of the temple we are told ... "Now when He was in Jerusalem at the Passover, during the feast, many believed in His name when they saw the signs which He did." (cf. John 2:23)
* Jesus was performing many other signs other than the few that John is choosing to highlight to prove the deity of Christ.
* It is in the context of seeing these irrefutable signs, that we continue our consideration of John's testimony. For John now begins to share about an encounter that Jesus had with an older Pharisee named Nicodemus.
* It is this conversation with Nicodemus which contains some of the clearest statements regarding God's provision of salvation. Yet, at the same time, this conversation contains some deep truths to ponder and continue to meditate upon.