|~ LISTENING CENTER ~|
Date: March 3, 2019
Title: The Pattern of Prayer (Pt 1)
Speaker: Bob Corbin
Sermon Note Sheet (PDF)
* We are in the midst of a mini-series on the importance of prayer in the life of a believer and the church.
* Prayer is communication with God in worship that is based upon our relationship with Him.
* What an incredible privilege that we have been afforded to have spiritual communion with the Creator of the Universe! Such an incredible privilege should be seen in the priority that we place upon prayer both as a private act of personal worship and as a public act of collective worship. However, many people still seem to struggle in their "conversation" with God. What do I say? What should I talk about? Jesus' disciples struggled in a similar manner.
* The first disciples struggled in similar manner. We read in Luke 11:1 Now it came to pass, as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased, that one of His disciples said to Him, 'Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.'
* In both Luke 11 and Matthew 6, Jesus taught His disciples to pray in a similar manner including specific concepts. I like to use the acronym P.R.A.Y. to remind myself and instruct others on the various facets of prayer. That stands for Praise - Repent - Ask - Yield. We will be discussing the first two of those facets today.