|~ LISTENING CENTER ~|
Date: July 14, 2019
Title: The Sacrifice of the Messiah (Pt 1 – His Preparation)
Passage: Matthew 26:1-16
Speaker: Bob Corbin
Sermon Note Sheet (PDF)
* We have been Focusing on the Messiah in the book of Matthew for exactly one year (with the exception of breaks for missionaries and the mini-series on prayer in the spring). Eight weeks ago, we began to consider the final week of Jesus' earthly ministry; commonly referred to as the Passion Week. As we enter into this final phase of the book of Matthew - considering the sacrifice of the Messiah and His commission - we must remember that this is all happening very quickly for the disciples.
* There is the Triumphal Entry, the Altercations with the Pharisees, Sadducees, and Scribes ... and then His statement that the Temple would be totally destroyed. The disciples are noticeably confused and Jesus provides some cryptic prophetic teaching regarding the time of His return.
* Jesus culminates His teaching with the statement, 'You know that after two days is the Passover, and the Son of Man will be delivered up to be crucified.'
* If you were with Jesus, how would you have responded to this chain of events? ... and to this final statement?
* In our passage today, we see a series of responses and reactions to Jesus' teaching. Which most closely resembles your response?