|~ LISTENING CENTER ~|
Date: December 29, 2019
Title: His Name Shall Be: YHWH
Speaker: Bob Corbin
Sermon Note Sheet (PDF)
* During the Advent Season we have reflected upon the mystery of the incarnation considering the four names which are given to the child that Isaiah prophesied of in Isaiah 9:6 and the original prophesy that it was predicated upon ... that YHWH would give the house of David a sign, "Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Emmanuel." (Isaiah 7:14)
* At the beginning of this series of reflections, we considered the question: "What's In A Name?"
1) The Importance of A Name ... specifically in Jewish thought was reflect the individual's position, personality, or potentiality (prophetically speaking).
2) The Importance of THE Name ... YHWH's name is intricately interwoven with His glory. (BY THE TIME OF THE WRITING OF THE TALMUDS DURING THE BABYLONIAN EXILE IT WAS ALREADY COMMON PRACTICE TO SAY ADONAI AND HASHEM - THE NAME - IN PLACE OF YHWH.)
3) The Importance of THESE Names ... four doublets which each refer to YHWH Himself.
* Today, we come back to "THE Name" which YHWH declares is above all names ... His own.