|~ LISTENING CENTER ~|
Date: March 22, 2015
Title: Unveiling the Mystery (Pt. 2)
Passage: Romans 9:1-11:36
Speaker: Bob Corbin
Sermon Note Sheet (PDF)
* In his letter to the believers in Rome, Paul has been presenting a persuasive argument defending his theme "the just shall live by faith."
* After revealing that all have transgressed the righteous law of God and are therefore not "just" as a result of their own righteousness, Paul explained that salvation has never then been according to the deeds of men but rather through the expression of faith in the redemptive work of God
* Last week we considered Paul's unveiling of the "mystery" of the church ... Israel, because of their disobedience, would be set aside for a period of time (in which God would open up salvation to the Gentiles as a means of provocation to the Jews - to make them jealous - such that they would return to God by faith) and at the end of this period of time all Israel would be delivered.
* We have sought to keep a focus on the context of the epistle as we have looked at these critical chapters. However, along the way we have past by a couple of specifically important topics that I would like to return to and examine in more detail.
* The first is another mystery that was contained within the unveiling of this mystery! The mystery of the Godhead! The mystery of the Incarnation - that God became flesh in order to be the eternal propitiation for our sins!